Re: Unable to install/boot debian from G3(beige) desktop

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:39:58PM -0800, JT wrote:
> Hello compatriots/teachers,
>
> I'm trying to install debian on a standard Apple PowerMac G3 desktop(233MHz,
> internal 4G ATA drive) and I've successfully gotten a network install to the
> point where it's time to make the hard drive bootable.  And this is where
> I've failed again and again.

Me too, same machine.  One good piece of good news: I have had this
machine overclocked to 267MHz for a couple of years, and never seem to
have had a problem attributable to the overclocking.

> Yes, I know that the Open Firmware with this Mac is supposed to be buggy and
> requires a patch.  I BELIEVE I added this patch with utility from Mac OS 8.5
> before blowing it(OS 8.5) away in the course of partitioning the drive.  I
> don't intend to dual boot and am seeking to make this a Linux-only box.

Like many G3 users, I am somewhat resentfully dual booting (with
BootX).  Sensible or now, the reason I did not try harder with Quik is
the apparent lack of a way to apply OF patches from within Linux.  The
indicated programme would seem to be

  1. Work out how to apply an OF patch from within Linux.  (For this
purpose, the patch itself can be extracted from Apple's utility with
ResEdit.  The patch is just a text "resource" of OF commands.)  Has
anyone played around in /proc/device-tree enough to be able to apply
an OF patch?

  2. Find or create free software to extract a "resource" from a MacOS
file, to dispense with the need for ResEdit.  Does such software
already exist?

  3. Perhaps see about persuading Apple to make OF patches directly
available independently of the MacOS tool for installation.

By the way, I have

$cat /proc/device-tree/openprom/model
Open Firmware 2.0f1

This is supposed to be current for a beige G3, I think.  But do the
patches change the OF version?

--
John