Re: mac-fdisk and 0x8e partitions for LVM

I'm currently trying to get LVM working on another Linux/PowerPC distro
(YellowDog) with limited success.

I have a self-compiled 2.4.24 kernel, with MD, RAID and LVM installed
into the kernel.  It's booting a Wallstreet powerbook off the internal
IDE drive.  I'm trying to get LVM working on an external SCSI disk.

Most of the commands (pvcreate, lvcreate etc.) appear to work at first,
except for vgscan, which dumps core.

~ > sudo vgscan -v
vgscan -- removing "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- creating empty "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- scanning for all active volume group(s) first
vgscan -- found active volume group "vg"
vgscan -- reading data of volume group "vg" from physical volume(s)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

 Ignoring that, I was able to create several logical volumes, initialize
them, put an ext2 filesystem on them and then mount them.

~ > df -h /dev/vg/*
/dev/vg/group         496M  101M  369M  22%
/dev/vg/home         1008M   20K  956M   1% /mnt/Temp/home
/dev/vg/root         1008M  872K  955M   1% /mnt/Temp
/dev/vg/usr          1008M   20K  956M   1% /mnt/Temp/usr
/dev/vg/var          1008M   20K  956M   1% /mnt/Temp/var

Unfortunately, something about the lvscan crash is causing problems later on.

~ > sudo lvdisplay -v /dev/vg
lvdisplay -- ERROR: VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent; please run vgscan

Since this isn['t working, I haven't actually tried to use the mounted
volumes for anything.

I'll try recompiling the lvm package against my current kernel and
investigate further. Was there anything else special you needed to do to
get LVM working on Debian/PPC?

-dean takemori