Re: Newbie Question: Installing debianppc

am 21.01.2004 9:53 Uhr schrieb Joerg Stephan unter joerg@jstephan.org:

> david howe (david howe <david@quadra.qednet.biz>)
> wrote on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:20:46 +1100
> with subject "Re: Newbie Question: Installing debianppc"
>
> Sorry,
>
> maybe i said something wrong (missed some words):
>
> i can _not_ boot directly from the CD, because an OpenFirmware
> doesnt show up, and MacOS boots directly.
>
>> BootX ?
>>
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:11:56 +0100
>> Joerg Stephan <joerg@jstephan.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> its my newbie question again,
>>>
>>> i want to install debian on an umax apus 3000, my first problem
>>> is, that there is nor "normal" OpenFirmware, so i could boot
>>> directly from CD.
>>>
>>> Can someone help me, or can get me link to an HowTo ??
>>>
>>> Greets Joerg
>>

>> --

hi

the umax apus is an oldworld mac. You need bootx on this machine.
You can get it from:
http://ftp.penguinppc.org/projects/BootX/BootX_1.2.2.sit
help from:
http://penguinppc.org/projects/bootx/

download bootx
extract BootX_1.2.2.sit with stuffItExpander
In the folder "BootX 1.2.2" you can found 3 objects:
"BootX App"
"Linux Kernels
"BootX Extension"
put this on your system folder so the macos put the files on the right place

copy the file vmlinux from the CD  /install/powermac/vmlinux   in the folder
Linux Kernels  in your systemfolder
Copy the file root.bin in your systemfolder and rename it to
ramdisk.image.gz

remove the CD

start bootx
activate the checkbox No video driver
click on Options  --> a new box will open
use specified RAM Disk --> choose...
choose the correct file in your systemfolder
click ok and then click on Linux

Alexander