Re: best for Linux: iBook or PowerBook?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:11:04PM +0100, Vincent Hanquez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:41:47PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > A shame though that the Ibook G4 is only a 7445 compared to the
> > Powerbook 7447.
>
> The IBook G4 is a 7455.

Are you sure ? Notice that the only difference between a 744x and the
corresponding 745x is the absence of external L3 cache. In particular,
there is no way to tell which version of the CPU is used from a software
point of view. So, of using a 7445 or a 7455, and given the fact that
the G4 iBook doesn't have external L3 cache (or does it), which one do
you believe Apple did use in the iBook ?

> > Also, the PB 12" i saw in the shop seemed to be quite
> > hot on the left side where the drive is, compared to the ibook. May not
> > be significant though.
>
> and the left side (drive location) is hot too on ibook.
> there's no diffs on this issue.

Well, not on the model i saw (since i put my hand on all sides of it :),
but it may be due to iBook harddisk idling. Still it surprised me,
since i thought the 7447 equiped powerbook would be cooler, but i guess
this would not be visible there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther