Re: Is a bridge firewall possible with an oldworld?!?

Hi,
christian funk schrieb:
I'm trying to set up my oldworld power mac (7500 with a 603 CPU) up as a bridge firewall. Someone please stop me if it can't be done...

... my 7500 won't run. Maybe my power-supply is broken. I get many glibc errors.

Currently I'm running my own custom 2.4.18 kernel, but on bridge.sourceforge.net I read that I need to apply the patch bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.19.diff.

Is there no patch for 2.4.18?

1) Do I need the 2.4.19 source to apply the patch, or would the patch work on 2.4.18?

Sometimes ist works, sometimes it doesn't. It is much much better to use the right sources.

2) If I need the 2.4.19 source "how"/"where" do I get it. Running dselect, as I could for the 2.4.18 source, doesn't offer me anything above 2.4.18 :( I use the ftp at ftp at de.debian.org

look at www.kernel.org, use make-kpkg to build *.deb

3) Can I still use kernel-package with a 2.4.19 kernel, as the Debian Installation Guide suggests? Do I need to do anything special, or will kernel-package just work with any kernel? (I'd do with by trail and error but my box takes about 5 hours to compile the kernels.)

make-kpkg works with every kernel, which compiles well

4) While I'm asking stupid questions: dselect only offers my the brigde-utils 0.9.5, but the current version seems to be 0.9.6. Do I need that, and if so, how do I get/install that package with/without dselect?

Debian often uses "older" version, bcause they are more secure. Get the source of your program an use dh_make and dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc to build your own package. (You also can upgrade to sarge, but woody is still more stable)

--

MfG
Sandro

SandroHardy@ NO SPAM. geistlos.de