Is a bridge firewall possible with an oldworld?!?

I'm trying to set up my oldworld power mac (7500 with a 603 CPU) up as a bridge firewall. Someone please stop me if it can't be done...

Currently I'm running my own custom 2.4.18 kernel, but on bridge.sourceforge.net I read that I need to apply the patch bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.19.diff.

I'm very new to Debian (and Linux for that matter), and therefore utterly confused what to do next. Installing the 2.4.28 source, compiling, and booting it went well enough just following the pointers in the "Debian Installation Guide". But now:

1) Do I need the 2.4.19 source to apply the patch, or would the patch work on 2.4.18?

2) If I need the 2.4.19 source "how"/"where" do I get it. Running dselect, as I could for the 2.4.18 source, doesn't offer me anything above 2.4.18 :( I use the ftp at ftp at de.debian.org

3) Can I still use kernel-package with a 2.4.19 kernel, as the Debian Installation Guide suggests? Do I need to do anything special, or will kernel-package just work with any kernel? (I'd do with by trail and error but my box takes about 5 hours to compile the kernels.)

4) While I'm asking stupid questions: dselect only offers my the brigde-utils 0.9.5, but the current version seems to be 0.9.6. Do I need that, and if so, how do I get/install that package with/without dselect?

Thanx

Christian