Re: Can I Install AND boot a new Kernel on an OldWorld PMac?

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:48:22PM +0100, Simon Vallet wrote:
> Once everything is working, you can set 'boot-command' to
> the command you used for booting, and 'auto-boot?' to'true' again.
> (Note that keeping 'auto-boot?' set to false allows you to boot MacOS
> without resetting the PRAM -- which is useful if you have OF patches
> applied :-)

If you want to boot MacOS without having to go into OF, you should
be able to set the boot device to "/AAPL,ROM" with nvsetenv and
the next boot will run the MacOS properly. The old LinuxPPC install
used to have a script called macos that would use nvsetenv to change
this and then reboot. A note of warning, tho. I'm not sure exactly
what does it, but on my 7600 most of the PRAM and OF settings get
changed back to what the MacOS wants during the boot process. This
means you have to reapply patches and fix the settings every time
you boot the MacOS. I never found a way around it. Even using
'bye' in OF didn't prevent the changes.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com