Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 20:49, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:56:51AM -0500, Kevin B.Hendricks wrote:
> > For example ... Linuxppc64 even follow the broken AIX alignment that
> > long long ints are aligned to 8 but doubles are only aligned to 4 in
> > structures.
>
> Not any more.  The latest revision, which is yet to find it's way to
> www.linuxbase.org, uses natural alignment.  I also dug my heels in over
> following the vector extension.  The AIX/Macos version treats named
> vector function arguments as if they were specified after other args,
> which makes life interesting for compiler writers.  It also means that
> calls to varargs functions passing vector args must always have a
> prototype in scope, because varargs functions pass vectors in the normal
> order..

Great. (seriously)

Using 16-byte stack alignment? More?

Keeping .text in the low 2 GB? Other stuff?

Keeping anything in a 48-bit range?
(One less opcode than full 64-bit)

That TOC?

Still using "funtion pointers" that aren't?

Anything left to improve?

BTW, failure to have a prototype in scope had
ought to be an error these days. I think C99
allows that.