Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:56:51AM -0500, Kevin B.Hendricks wrote:
> For example ... Linuxppc64 even follow the broken AIX alignment that
> long long ints are aligned to 8 but doubles are only aligned to 4 in
> structures.

Not any more.  The latest revision, which is yet to find it's way to
www.linuxbase.org, uses natural alignment.  I also dug my heels in over
following the vector extension.  The AIX/Macos version treats named
vector function arguments as if they were specified after other args,
which makes life interesting for compiler writers.  It also means that
calls to varargs functions passing vector args must always have a
prototype in scope, because varargs functions pass vectors in the normal
order..

powerpc64-linux gcc-3.4 will use natural alignment by default, as do
the latest versions of my gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.2 patchsets.  I don't think
RedHat or SuSE have picked this up in their gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.2
compilers, which I suppose is fair enough given that this is an ABI
change.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre