Re: Debian on an iMac 17''

On Nov 16, 2003, at 4:18 AM, Chris Tillman wrote:

On Nov 15, 2003, at 9:17 PM, Chris Tillman wrote:

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:10:03PM +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
Howdy all,
I took the decision little more than a week ago to install Debian on
my
iMac 17''. Now with the good feeling to know at least a bit how the
debian installer works on x86 architectures ( as I have done already
some installations using the woody installer ), I tried to do so.
Unfortunately it didn't work as expected. So here comes some kind of a
log file of all the things I tried to get at least the installer to
work. ;-)

[...]

The Sarge installer cd, didn't even boot, I tried using the
"hold-down-c" method as well as holding down alt to see all the boot
drives. But the cd didn't show up. ( I controlled the md5 of the
download iso file, and it was identical to the one I downloaded. )

Try copying the ofboot.b file from the CD's install/powermac folder
onto your hard drive partition. Then in OpenFirmware, type

boot hd:xx,ofboot.b

(Use your partition number in place of xx). This will cause the
Mac to boot from the CD, I hope.

No, unfortunatly, that didn't work.

here is what i entered
0> boot hd:3,ofboot.b
	parsing <CHRP-Boot>
	Bootinfo is not compatible
	ok
0>

:/ isn't there a method to immediatly call the kernel on the cd ?
Might it be related to the fact that I got Panther installed,
and that perhaps it is another openfirmware ? as on the
older imac, jaguar was still running.

Yes:

boot cd:,\install\powermac\yaboot
well that works -> the installer gets loaded, thought it still doesn't recognize
my hard disc :/

Would you try the below step? If it works for you, then we can make it
a general purpose solution for the CDs. Edit the ofboot.b file you put
on your disk partition with a text editor. Where it says

MacRISC

make it read

MacRISC MacRISC3 MacRISC4

this works just as well, the installer is booted just fine, but the hard disc
is not recognized neither.

But, when it all is loaded, I can read line saying that there is an IBM-blabla attached
and that it is working or something similar.
The text scrolls actually to fast for me to be able to read it all. :/

As I already said i got an sarge cd under the hand. I ll try to boot that one up now,
using the same procedure.

might the problem of the non-recognizing of the hard disc be related to an updated firmware ? ( as i got panther installed, the very latest os... perhaps there have been made updates to the system firmware, which is now incompatible to the debian
installer ?

This is apparently what is needed to assure OF that we are compatible
with G5s. Does it boot using that file then?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People