Re: Fwd: Re: Debian on an iMac 17''

> On Nov 15, 2003, at 9:17 PM, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:10:03PM +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
> >>Howdy all,
> >>I took the decision little more than a week ago to install Debian on
> >>my
> >>iMac 17''. Now with the good feeling to know at least a bit how the
> >>debian installer works on x86 architectures ( as I have done already
> >>some installations using the woody installer ), I tried to do so.
> >>Unfortunately it didn't work as expected. So here comes some kind of a
> >>log file of all the things I tried to get at least the installer to
> >>work. ;-)
> >>

> >[...]
> >>
> >>The Sarge installer cd, didn't even boot, I tried using the
> >>"hold-down-c" method as well as holding down alt to see all the boot
> >>drives. But the cd didn't show up. ( I controlled the md5 of the
> >>download iso file, and it was identical to the one I downloaded. )
> >>

> >Try copying the ofboot.b file from the CD's install/powermac folder
> >onto your hard drive partition. Then in OpenFirmware, type
> >
> >boot hd:xx,ofboot.b
> >
> >(Use your partition number in place of xx). This will cause the
> >Mac to boot from the CD, I hope.
>
> No, unfortunatly, that didn't work.
>
> here is what i entered
> 0> boot hd:3,ofboot.b
> 	parsing <CHRP-Boot>
> 	Bootinfo is not compatible
> 	ok
> 0>
>
> :/ isn't there a method to immediatly call the kernel on the cd ?
> Might it be related to the fact that I got Panther installed,
> and that perhaps it is another openfirmware ? as on the
> older imac, jaguar was still running.

Yes:

boot cd:,\install\powermac\yaboot

Would you try the below step? If it works for you, then we can make it
a general purpose solution for the CDs. Edit the ofboot.b file you put
on your disk partition with a text editor. Where it says

MacRISC

make it read

MacRISC MacRISC3 MacRISC4

This is apparently what is needed to assure OF that we are compatible
with G5s. Does it boot using that file then?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People