Re: Debian on an iMac 17''

On Nov 15, 2003, at 9:17 PM, Chris Tillman wrote:

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:10:03PM +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
Howdy all,
I took the decision little more than a week ago to install Debian on my
iMac 17''. Now with the good feeling to know at least a bit how the
debian installer works on x86 architectures ( as I have done already
some installations using the woody installer ), I tried to do so.
Unfortunately it didn't work as expected. So here comes some kind of a
log file of all the things I tried to get at least the installer to
work. ;-)

[...]

The Sarge installer cd, didn't even boot, I tried using the
"hold-down-c" method as well as holding down alt to see all the boot
drives. But the cd didn't show up. ( I controlled the md5 of the
download iso file, and it was identical to the one I downloaded. )

Try copying the ofboot.b file from the CD's install/powermac folder
onto your hard drive partition. Then in OpenFirmware, type

boot hd:xx,ofboot.b

(Use your partition number in place of xx). This will cause the
Mac to boot from the CD, I hope.

No, unfortunatly, that didn't work.

here is what i entered
0> boot hd:3,ofboot.b
	parsing <CHRP-Boot>
	Bootinfo is not compatible
	ok
0>

:/ isn't there a method to immediatly call the kernel on the cd ?
Might it be related to the fact that I got Panther installed,
and that perhaps it is another openfirmware ? as on the
older imac, jaguar was still running.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People