Re: Debian on an iMac 17''

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:10:03PM +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
> Howdy all,
> I took the decision little more than a week ago to install Debian on my
> iMac 17''. Now with the good feeling to know at least a bit how the
> debian installer works on x86 architectures ( as I have done already
> some installations using the woody installer ), I tried to do so.
> Unfortunately it didn't work as expected. So here comes some kind of a
> log file of all the things I tried to get at least the installer to
> work. ;-)

[...]
> The Sarge installer cd, didn't even boot, I tried using the
> "hold-down-c" method as well as holding down alt to see all the boot
> drives. But the cd didn't show up. ( I controlled the md5 of the
> download iso file, and it was identical to the one I downloaded. )

Try copying the ofboot.b file from the CD's install/powermac folder
onto your hard drive partition. Then in OpenFirmware, type

boot hd:xx,ofboot.b

(Use your partition number in place of xx). This will cause the
Mac to boot from the CD, I hope.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People