Re: Fan speed and Heat

> My previous laptop, an old Pentium 233MMX Toshiba, used to have an
> address that when written some values, it would start/stop the internal
> fan. I don't know if something similar exists for the Powerbook, but
> sometimes, the fan kicks in when the computer is iddle doing nothing (I
> mean, it kicks in when it receives mail, but I hardly believe it can
> take soooo much power as to launch the fans!) and it would be nice to be
> able to do something about it.
>
> How good is the power control in the Powerbooks? any ideas/suggestions?

Each single apple motherboard uses a different fan control mecanism
and none of them is documented and none of them is opensourced in
darwin... On some machines, the thermostat is configured once for
all by the firmware and seem pretty happy that way, on others, it
seems the firmware setting is a bit too "paranoid" and would benefit
from some work, and finally, some machines seem to lose the firmware
setting during sleep. But so far, we just lack informations about
how those things work on most models. The albooks seem to use known
industry thermostat though, it may be possible to write drivers for
them, though I don't have time to dive into that now. Every single
motherboard model made by apple need a specific driver for that it
seems :(

Ben.