Re: Spam alert

On Thursday 02 October 2003 04:12, Zach Archer wrote:
> Hi. I started receiving a whole lot of spam last night, shortly after
> subscribing and posting to this newsgroup for the first time. I'm not

(This is not a newsgroup, but a mailing list)

> sure which brand of net-annoyant it is, but I'm receiving a lot of
> messages with big .exe files attached (funny that I can't open these
> in my macintosh household)
>
> A lot of these say things like "New critical update" from "Microsoft"
> (obviously neither is true)
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/authenticate_mail.asp for info

These are not spam, but worm emails. Since they are not distributed by the
list, there's nothing the list admins can do against it. The problem is that
apparently some readers of this list have an infected computer, spreading
this email worm.

The only thing we can do is hope the people using infected windoze machines
will finally fix their systems. (And of course pester the ISPs to block those
emails at their systems - blocking all executable attachments should be the
usual thing to do at an ISP IMHO).

Altering the email addresses in the archive would not have helped this time
since the worm grabs the addresses from the mailfolders in outlook at doesn't
scan the web, AFAIK.

greets
-- vbi
--