netatalk -user error

It has been a long time since I have set up netatalk on a server.  I  have ran into a snare.

1. when I try to connect to the netatalk server via os x and type my passwd it gives me

"You have entered more characters than the maximum number allowed"

This happens as soon as I press one key and will not allow me to enter a passwd or connect with using a legitimate user on that sever.

2.  When I have a guest account and do not want any user to connect just a guest.  How do I turn off the user login.

Thanks,

Adam