Memory problems (was Re: CPU and Memory usage of XFree86)

Another related qn.. the memory usage statistic using top doesn't show memory freeing up after I close some heavy duty programs like Openoffice and mozilla that I had running.. so in effect, the memory usage grows till almost 100% of the memory is used up but it never comes back down.. so I shut down X and checked top again, a little bit was freed up but almost 80% of my 640MB RAM was used up though all I had running was a console login... I had to reboot to get the memory freed up... any idea why this happens? Any solution? I'm using KDE 3.1 and a ben10 kernel on an ibook 2.2 ...

Thanks,
nirmal