Re: CPU and Memory usage of XFree86

Michel Dänzer wrote:

X server memory consumption is a FAQ and has recently been discussed
here, but the X server should normally never hog the CPU (and it doesn't
here) unless there are clients flooding it with requests. If there are
no suspect clients, does the CPU hogging prevail over an X server
restart? Does it feel responsive?

When I startx after a reboot for instance, XFree86 takes up around 3-4% of my 640MB memory.. and it's cpu usage varies from 0.7% to 15%... in addition, kdeinit seems to take around 3% of memory.. so yes, it does feel responsive but right after X is started, around 160MB of memory is already used up, w/ nothing but a shell terminal open... is this normal?

Thanks,
nirmal