Re: PC graphic adapters on Mac Hardware

Jeroen Roovers wrote:
As I said before, if your Mac has Open Firmware, you can (theoretically, which means I've read about it :-) use a serial

It works fine.  Do note to use 57600 baud on newer machines,
not 38400 as the Apple technotes say.

connection to get to a boot prompt, and if Linux is set to use the Open Firmware interface at boot time, one ought to be able to see what's going on and interact with the machine properly. On my B&W G3, I ought to be able to use the USB interface as a serial connection,

USB is not serial.  Repeat that: USB is not serial.  USB is
a wacko very much over-complicated over-engineered "standard"
with everything but the kitchen sink included.  Heck, it has
four wires, that is at least one too many ;-)

It would take more code to implement functional early-boot-
console-over-USB than it takes code to implement all of the
early booting.  Much more.

Forget about USB.  It's not worth it.

You really want to use a simple RS-nnn or SCC or whatever
2- or 3-wire connection.

Cheers,

Segher