Re: problem with sound driver in iBook2

Michel Dänzer wrote:
Yes, I was just looking what happens. Deep inside I was hoping that recording capability might perhaps be added with not too much effort. How about Darwin, couldn't we borrow some code of their driver, or is this code not freely available?

I doubt it, but as Segher pointed out, the specs are available. Good
luck. :)

Well, you not only need the sound chip spec, but you also
need to know how certain function are connected in the
particular machines, for example, which GPIOs are the
input/output selects and the function detects (headphone
connect detect, etc.); the Darwin driver source can help
here.  Some (most?) of this stuff is put into properties
in the Open Firmware device tree, but not all.  Also note
that older Mac sound systems (DACA, Screamer) are less
"clean".  And for some systems, there are separate extra
chips for output stages or whatnot (S/PDIF receiver? :-) )

All this asks for a a heavily modularized sound driver
design, not the big blob that dmasound is.  The current
ALSA drivers are better in this regard, I think.

Cheers,

Segher