Re: Meta Alt oh my!

> > So, when you run xev and press the left <option/alt> key, you get
> > something like this:
> >
> > KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
> >     root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 71770797, (2,148), root:(574,566),
> >     state 0x8, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
>
> 	Yes:
>
> KeyPress event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
>     root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 35199642, (337,-3), root:(349,45),
>     state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
>
> > But when you press the left <apple logo/command> key, you get:
> >
> > KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
> >     root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 71826060, (52,144), root:(624,562),
> >     state 0x40, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffe7, Meta_L), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
>
> 	Yes:
>
> KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
>     root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 35201392, (337,-3), root:(349,45),
>     state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
>
> > If so, it seems to me that Alt is Alt_L and Command is Meta_L as you
> > wanted. So perhaps I'm not understanding the problem.
>
> 	No, it is not.  My point is exactly that xmodmap and altwin:meta_win
> aren't taking effect in :1, only in :1.

So, did you do the above xev on display :1 or :0? Or are they the same on
both?

> 	Even wierder still, my machine just froze.  I was experimenting with
> the console Apple USB keyboard, and when the system went up again, :0
> was fine as ever but now I can't do even accented characters in :1.  It
> looks like, but I'm not sure, :1 is taking the console keyboard
> characters.  Eerie...
>
> > OK. I think I understand the problem. We're not speaking the same
> > language. emacs says Meta, but it often means the <alt> key on the
> > keyboard. X has the notion of Alt, Meta, Super, and Hyper, where Alt is
> > the symbol sent when pressing the <alt> key and (at least for Debian)
> > Meta when pressing the <Apple-logo> key.
>
> 	This is what I expect, and what I get in :0 but not in :1.

So, what I think you expect is that, running GNU emacs 21 in X11, you can
press the <alt/option> key on your keyboard and (for example) the 'x' key and
get an 'A-x' in emacs' minibuffer. And if you press <Apple-logo/command> and
'x', you'll get an 'M-x' in emacs' minibuffer. Is this right?

> > This might be a problem where the Apple keymaps are not mapping the same
> > as the do on x86. I think the <Windows-logo> key sends Super now, but it
> > used to send Meta. I'll file a bug with Xfree.
>
> 	Wait until we are sure of understanding this better.

I've already sent a fix, and it's been applied to CVS. I'd like the Apple
keyboard maps to be as like the PC ones as possible.

Frank