Re: XFS enabled Debian 3.0r1 powerpc installer

Paul van Tilburg schrieb:

I was wondering... Why did you focus on XFS? What are in your eyes the
advantages? I'm using EXT3 on my current i386 laptop (and indeed
suspending the disk is impossible, but I favor that over spinning
up/down all the time which isn't good for the disk at all), will
XFS be better?

I'm using ext3 on my powerbook for a long time no and havn't had any
problems.

I read about noatime ext3 mount options and stuff, but such an option
for my root fs doesn't feel right. What experience do you guys
have with suspending the disk (and resulting laptop-usage increase)
in a iBook/Powerbook?

In my experience the most important thing to be able to spin down the
disk is not writeing to it all the time. This can be accopmlished with
Jens Axboe's laptop mode patch which is included in latest benh kernels.
You have to activate it with a little script (included in the kernel
sources) which enables it by setting some /proc entries. Of course not
writing the log to disk immediately somehow defeats filesystem
journaling :-( but you can have everything at once.

With that i can spin down the disk with cpudyn (sone to be packaged for
debian). This daemon also slows down the cpu on low cpu load.

gaudenz