Re: XFS enabled Debian 3.0r1 powerpc installer

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 12:41:16AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> I have built an updated set of XFS enabled Debian boot-floppies for
> PowerPC.  Note that only the `new-powermac' flavor is supported (which
> pretty much means only NewWorld PowerMacs are supported).  I also
> provide a mini bootable CDROM iso.

I am considering, well as good as decided, to by a Powerbook 15"
(867MHz) and am thankful in advance for your work!

I was wondering... Why did you focus on XFS? What are in your eyes the
advantages? I'm using EXT3 on my current i386 laptop (and indeed
suspending the disk is impossible, but I favor that over spinning
up/down all the time which isn't good for the disk at all), will
XFS be better?

I read about noatime ext3 mount options and stuff, but such an option
for my root fs doesn't feel right. What experience do you guys
have with suspending the disk (and resulting laptop-usage increase)
in a iBook/Powerbook?

> This version uses 2.4.21 (mainline) which appears to have a driver for
> the ata-100 in 2003 PowerMacs, so it may work to install debian on
> 2003 macs.  My basedebs.tar contains yaboot 1.3.10, so if you use that
> to do the base install the box will even boot properly without any
> manual fsckery.

Very nice! I have another question, how much does do this deprecate all
those great install manuals I've been searching and found?

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | JID:   paul@luon.net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | email: paulvt@debian.org