Re: has anyone solved the oldworld mac framebuffer problem yet?

On   5 Jun, this message from Tyler Seboe echoed through cyberspace:
> Sorry about the html, i use a hotmail account for all public
> correspndence...is it fixed now?

Yes :-)

[snip]
>>Turns out (after reading some of the debian-x list) that changing the
>>"Default Depth" in the "Screen" section of the XF86Config-4 file from 16
>>to 15 fixes *both* the wrap problem and the colour problem.  (So I've
>>now learned that bpp ? depth.)
>
> Can anyone walk me through this procedure. In my estimation he
> references two different changes. One in BootX which I may or may not
> be using and one in XF86Config-4 (or are they the same???).

No, they are definitely not the same. In BootX, assuming you use it, you
give command line options to the kernel. That's the thing sending fast
scrolling text to your screen when you boot.

X is the thing that starts out with a grey backround and then
(hopefully) displays a graphical login screen.

What you need to do is change the 'Screen' section of the file
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, which is the configuration file for X. I've
posted mine in another mail.

Dou you know how much VRAM you have in your box? You can tell with this
command:

(as root) fbset -i | grep -e Name -e Size

> I've done nothing to my system besides do a standard install from the
> woody cd. I added a few optional servers but the installer did all of
> the work. The only tweaking I've done is through debconf and with
> fbdev (I mentioned the .diff file I used earlier).

I think this patching is redundant.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |