Re: has anyone solved the oldworld mac framebuffer problem yet?

>    I'm trying to run debian on an old PowerMac 7600/132 with an Apple
>    Multiple Scan 15 Display and I cannot fix the "screen wrap" problem
>    described in previous posts. This is where the left ~15px are
>    actually being displayed on the right.

I've not seen this problem anymore in the last maybe two years... Two
years and a half, actually, since some patches got applied to XFree in
November 2000.

>    I've tried a number or settings in debconf, tried to apply a patch
>    (from a
>    .diff file provided by Michel ?) to fbdev, and exhaustively
>    searched the web.

That would have been my patch, I think. I haven't had the need to use it
since, though... What are you running (kernel, XFree version)?

>    If someone has this setup (it was pretty common) and has solved
>    this problem, please reply. I'd also be interested to see your
>    debconf file as I've been confused by a number of options (for
>    instance, do i have to specify a monitor or just use generic?).

Here's the relevant part of my Xconfig:

# Apple "control":
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Apple control"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
        Option          "ShadowFB"              "Off"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Apple control"
        Monitor         "Dell_P990"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

.. which means I'm running 1152x864 at 24 bpp (32, actually, in
    reality...)

> I had a similar problem with my 9500, I solved it with the boot
> argument
>
> video=atyfb:vmode:6

This would only be useful if you had an ATI card, which doesn't seem to
be the case.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |