Re: create HFS partition [solved]

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 06:13:30PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> I looked on the hfs-user list, and it said hfsutils under Linux can
> actually handle hfs volumes up to 4GB. However, there is also a
> limitation of 32,000 files per volume, so if your files are small
> you'll run out of handles before getting to 2GB anyway.
>
> Also there is a 2GB _file_ size limitation.
>
> 2GB partition size was what I had in mind from many moons ago under
> System 7 - that was probably a system limitation, not HFS per se.

The limits of HFS are as follows:

2GB limit on data forks
16MB limit on resource forks
32767 files in a single folder
65536 files on the whole volume

The limit on the size of the volume changed over time, with early
versions being limited to 2GB for the volume, then 4GB, then 2TB.
The larger partition support was added in the System 7.5.x series

There is also a limit of 65536 allocation blocks, which means that
in a practical sense, you can't have more than a few thousand files.
HFS+ removes most of these limits by using 32 bit numbers for a lot
more types of data, and 64 bit numbers in a couple places.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com