Re: keyboard!#%^&

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 08:04:17PM -0500, mmissett wrote:
> Chris,
>
>   Thanks a lot.  That was exactly what i was after.
> It does still leave me with a question or two,
> however.  The last two lines of that document
> appear to be (more or less) what I need to do:
>
> cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/
> cp mac-usb-us.kmap.gz
> /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz
>
> But,...
>
> I don't have a file /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz
> or even a directory /etc/console, and
>
> I don't have a file mac-usb-us.kmap.gz.
>
> I *do* have files mac-us-ext.kmap.gz and
> mac-us-std.kmap.gz, but both of those are in
> /usr/share/keymaps/mac, which the document
> describes as all being ADB.
>
> I also do have a document:
> /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz.  Is *this* the
> one I need to replace?  And then with what, from
> where?

That sounds right, the package in potato must have been called
console-tools. You would still use a keymap from
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty, probably the mac-usb-us.kmap.gz

> Finally, if I'm understanding this correctly, once I
> have replaced the right file with the right file I will
> not be able to use the 2.2 kernel again as it is,
> but will (if I have to) be able to do so by using
> the: keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
> argument?  Is that correct?  (It would be nice to
> be able to restore the status quo ante if all else
> fails.)

Yes, your 2.2 kernel is expecting ADB keycodes, so it will need the
old keymap, unless you give it the

keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1

argument; that will switch it for that boot into linux keycodes mode
and make your new keymap work right. The new kernels are permanently
in keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes mode, you'd have to recompile it to
put it back into ADB mode.  Using ADB keycodes is deprecated.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People