re:keyboard!#%^&

Chris,

  Thanks a lot.  That was exactly what i was after.
It does still leave me with a question or two,
however.  The last two lines of that document
appear to be (more or less) what I need to do:

cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/
cp mac-usb-us.kmap.gz
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz

But,...

I don't have a file /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz
or even a directory /etc/console, and

I don't have a file mac-usb-us.kmap.gz.

I *do* have files mac-us-ext.kmap.gz and
mac-us-std.kmap.gz, but both of those are in
/usr/share/keymaps/mac, which the document
describes as all being ADB.

I also do have a document:
/etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz.  Is *this* the
one I need to replace?  And then with what, from
where?

Finally, if I'm understanding this correctly, once I
have replaced the right file with the right file I will
not be able to use the 2.2 kernel again as it is,
but will (if I have to) be able to do so by using
the: keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
argument?  Is that correct?  (It would be nice to
be able to restore the status quo ante if all else
fails.)

Thanks again for your  attention and effort.

Mike