Re: Caution when choosing PCMCIA wireless cards (was Re: 17 inch powerbook 1.33Ghz problems)

On 24/12/2003, at 1:38 AM, Barry Hawkins wrote:
1.) Not all Orinoco cards are equal. I just found this out the hard way when I bought an Orinoco Silver 802.11b/g card after hearing that an Orinoco Silver card should work fine for Mac OS and Linux. If you are looking to buy one of those, be sure to buy the "Classic" Orinoco 802.11b card. The classic models are based on the HERMES 1.0 chipset that so many of the drivers out there work with. The newer cards have an unknown chipset, althoug

Wow, no kidding? Didn't realize this - thanks for the heads up. Things really are looking down in terms of decent, well supported chipsets in Linux (or in fact, anything *but* Windows) :-(

linux.conf.au 2004 - Adelaide, Australia
             http://lca2004.linux.org.au/

"Don't go, and you'll regret it!"