Re: 17 inch powerbook 1.33Ghz problems

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 04:12:17PM +0000, Dan Field wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I've been playing with this for a few days now but only really got
> somewhere near working today.
>
> I currently have a stable booting (via yaboot in the bootsector)
> 2.4.21benh kernel and a 2.6.0-test11-benh kernel (built from rsync
> today).
>
> I compiled up XFree86 4.3.1 from the stable tarballs at xfree86.org
> without many problems but from what I've read in other posts, it sounds
> like this will only work with a 2.6 kernel. Is that correct? Anyway.
> 2.6.0-test11 is booting up ok now but the framebuffer is a little odd.

X works fine here with last benh kernel and xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk
from Michel Daenzer. In order to get this package, edit your
/etc/apt/source.list adding the following line:

deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid ./

> I can't quite describe the problem but it involves what I can only
> describe as black scanlines appearing and making the framebuffer
> flicker. 2.4.21benh has no such issues.

Exactly the same here, but it's fixed as Jens says. If you haven't yet
access to startx, you can boot meanwhile with video=ofonly or add this
line to your yaboot.conf

append="video=ofonly"

> I was just wondering if anyone else was using the same setup out there
> and how far they had gotten.

* X: works fine with radeonfb for console and "UseFBDev" for X.

* Sound: works with alsa. Only preliminary test.

* Ethernet: works fine.

* Airport Extreme: forget it ;-)

* Internal modem: ?? Conexant chipset ??

* Sleep: Ben is working on that. AFAIK, no results yet.

> I intend to document what I have for the
> benefit of others.

I'm writing as well one document about the Debian installation on this
machine (at the moment only in spanish).

> So if anyone has XFree86Configs or kernel .configs
> etc that they think may be of use (specifically for the 17inch powerbook
> with superdrive, ATA 100, ATI Radeon 9600 (I think) etc.

I want to tune my configs. Can you wait for them two o three days?
But, surely, Jens has them more refine.