Re: need (pmac owner help) with powerpc package.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:33:21AM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 03:28:58PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I have no idea what kind of macs (or other powerpc boxes) use this kind
> > of driver, and what the situation exactly is on those. If it is ok to
> > build them as modules, in order to be able to boot into a small subset
> > of pmacs that cause problems, even at the cost of netbooting on a a bit
> > bigger subset of pmacs.
>
> The MACE ethernet controller was used in all pre-G3 PowerMacs with
> built-in ethernet. It's actually an AMD core manufactured as part
> of one of the much larger chips doing serial ports and other random
> stuff. It's also present in the (m68k based) Quadra 660AV and 840AV.
> I've never heard of a MACE controller as a separate chip.

Ok cool.

> More specifically, you should only need to worry about finding it
> in oldworld and nubus Macs.

Mmm, nubus Macs we don't support anyway, but oldworld we do.

Do people usually netboot from those, and even if they do, could it be
possible that the people doing this use a module initrd or something to
do such, and thus allow us to put this driver as module ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther