Re: need (pmac owner help) with powerpc package.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 01:43:10PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > could you please tell us which bugs actually need help? I did not find
> > > any bugs where there are unconfirmed problems. The older two packages
> > > have no open bug.
> >
> > I believe many of those are upstream issues or so. The older packages
> > had no problems, since i asked for their removal, and reassigned all
> > their packages to 2.4.22. The bugs are at :
> >
> >   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc
>
> Please specify which bugs you need help with; the majority of the bugs
> seems to be against long obsolete kernel versions (I'd just close those
> where you didn't have a confirmation that the bug still exists as of
> 2.4.22). More below.
>
> > The issues i see are mostly of the kind : scsi driver not working,
>
> The aic7xxx and NCR drivers I'd build as modules (the newpmac models all
> have IDE boot disks) and close the 'builtin SCSI driver breaks boot' bugs.
>
> > probably worth merging, and checking with a newer kernel if this is
> > still the case, the brightness issue we talked here some time ago, and
> > the various xfree86, atyfb and m3mirror issues.
> >
> > These are often stuff coming from the 2.2.x kernels i never maintained,
> > and maybe from the potato time.
>
> Again, please provide a list of bug numbers (and the type of hardware you
> need testing on). From a look at the bug titles I could see nothing
> related to atyfb (which is what I personally could test).

This one i think is atyfb related :

#132498: kernel-image-2.4.16-newpmac: displays garbage on console

Another bug report i would like help one is :

#217612: kernel-patch-2.4.21-powerpc: please build mace as a module

The problem there is that apparently the mace driver cause some of the
pmacs to die at boot, but on the other hand if you build it as module,
then netbooting with it would no more work.

I have no idea what kind of macs (or other powerpc boxes) use this kind
of driver, and what the situation exactly is on those. If it is ok to
build them as modules, in order to be able to boot into a small subset
of pmacs that cause problems, even at the cost of netbooting on a a bit
bigger subset of pmacs.

Tomorrow i will make a full list of the bugs i have trouble with.

Friendly,

Sven Luther