Re: [LONG] new 15

On Tue, 16 Dec, eric.bachard@b.org eric.bachardNOSPAM@free.fr wrote:
> Mine was in Holland for the screen too. But with Linux installed :-)

Aren't these white spots fun? :)

> > First, 2.4.x doesn't work too nicely (obvious) but 2.6.0-testX works fine (brightness
> buttons, volume control etc).
>
> For me, all was working with the 2.4.X, excepted XFree..
>
> >>I got the eject key to work by changing the value of the keycode in the pbbuttonsd
> config to the value shown by
>
> I've tested pbbuttons, and it doesn't work as well as ikeyd. Only the
> eject_key dont work..

One of the reasons I didn't use ikeyd. I prefer ikeyd for many reasons, but the eject key just would not work with it. I could get the eject key to work in pbbuttonsd, so I used that instead..

> With ikeyd, I have the 15 bright levels, like in Mac OS X. But no way to
> configure the keys like with pbbuttonsd..

Excellent, I'll have to look into running ikeyd again!

> Haven't tested line in...
>
> with Mac OS, line in give me a Larsen effect :-/ So I'ts not active, and
> I don't even need this "feature"..

What's the Larsen effect?

> >> to work. 3D accel didn't work (as expected) and I got about 120fps in glxgears
> iirc...
>
> 114 for me  :-p

Any idea of dri.sourceforge.net have any drivers yet for the 9600?

> > Clock slewing not sorted out yet - machine runs at 765MHz with a FSB clock of
> 102MHz. /proc/cpuinfo lies about it
> >>being 1250MHz :) You can tell this because the bogomips rating is way down in
> the ~750 region, when it should be up
>
> This point is the most interessant for me : how can you know all this
> speeds ?
>
> For me :
>
> eric@alube:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor	: 0
> cpu		: 7457, altivec supported
> clock		: 1249MHz
> revision	: 1.1 (pvr 8002 0101)
> bogomips	: 761.85
> machine		: PowerBook5,2
> motherboard	: PowerBook5,2 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
> detected as	: 287 (PowerBook G4 15")
> pmac flags	: 0000000a
> L2 cache	: 512K unified
> memory		: 512MB
> pmac-generation	: NewWorld
>
> Seems to be correct, for me, even if my ibook give me 1389 BogoMips

>From what I have managed to ascertain, the bogomips rating on the G4 gives a meaningful guide of how fast the computer is _actually_ running at. It seems that the bogomips and cpu clock speed are almost directly proportional (I get 761 bogomips when running at 765MHz, and my 667MHz TiBook gives a rating of 665.19, and I've seen that the 1GHz TiBooks got in the 990s).

This means that the 1.25GHz AlBook _should_ be getting a rating up in the 1200s, and a quick look in the developer docs reinforces this theory. The clock slewing on this machine slews the system down to 765MHz and 102MHz for the FSB according to the Apple developer notes. Ben was the person that supplied me with most of this info, and he will write a driver for this machine in cpufreq, but don't expect it anytime soon - he doesn't have access to an albook last time I checked ;)

> > Keyboard seems to work fine with all the keys... Backlighting doesn't work..
> Trackpad etc works...
> >
> ie for me..
>
> > Haven't tested PCMCIA, but I presume it works as it seems to be the same as
> on the tibook? Haven't tested DVI out
>
> I've a Belkin F5D6020f ver.2 with Atmel chipset inside, but don't work,
> ....perhaps my configuration is not correct..
>
> modprobe atmel_cs
>
> What else ?  I've installed all the packages for PCMCIA...and I don't
> know where I am wrong. (BTW : Is someone on this list using this card
> with a powerbook ?)

I thought it was some sort of yenta socket (whatever that is).... Anyway, I have no need for PCMCIA but I'll try it sometime anyway..

> >>either, and I don't expect it to work. USB/USB2 seems to work fine (OHCI for
> USB and EHCI for USB2 afaict)...
>
> I've seen the right USB connector is not as stable as the left one.  For
> the wifi, the MA111 now works fine (without WEP for now, because I've
> not read the docuemntation...soon I will :-)..
> It works with linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre15..

It's a pain the bum having to carry around a USB dongle just to get WiFi working. I'd rather just wait until someone managed to get the OS X driver to load in linux or something - WiFi isn't *that* important to me :)

> > SuperDrive should have no trouble working with scsi emulation. Haven't tried
> it yet, but I don't see why it
> >>shouldn't work...
>
> For now, ide-scsi don't work, but xcdroast recognize the SD. So I can
> burn something. Not tested yet

I'll have a look at this when I've finished installing all the stuff on it.. (about 4 hours left now...)

Regards,

George