Re: 2.4.21-ben2 issues: RTC, Thermal and RTAS

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:57:07AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > And the VIA SouthBridge has a builtin PC-style RTC, right?
> >
> > Yep, it does. What about your longtrail, what does it use for RTC ?
>
> | callisto$ grep rtc .config
> | CONFIG_GEN_RTC=m
> | CONFIG_RTC=y
> | callisto$
>
> It uses the PC-style RTC driver (genrtc.o is not loaded).

Mmm, what was your box again ? a chrp no ?

So, for your hardware, also the CONFIG_RTC is needed, but this will
break on powerpc.

So, either we separate again the CONFIGs, load everything as module
(should be possible, i wonder if the clock is set before the modules get
loaded though. I have noticed it is set two times in the boot process,
or at least the delays in not having CONFIG_RTC is), or fix the source
so it things will not break on pmac.

putting all the RTC stuff as modules is definitively the best solution.

BTW, would you care to test some kernel packages on your longtrail ? I
will put them at people.debian.org/powerpc, and you can download them
from there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther