Re: pcmcia problems

On 10/12/2003 at 18:40, dylan wrote:

> since i have compiled support for this module into the kernel there should
> be no need to load a module methinks. I tried commenting out the line in
> /etc/pcmcia/config-4 where it specifies the loading of that module.... upon
> restarting pcmcia services, and inserting the card it is recognized, but i
> still have no eth0...

To make modprobe believe that it has loaded a module you can set an
alias in /etc/modutils/donotload :

alias 8390 off

This way, a modprobe 8390 will do nothing and return a 0 (OK) status.
This is for 2.4.

In 2.6, this is slightly different. You have to put in
/etc/modprobe.d/donotload :

install 8390 /bin/true

HTH

--
Kiko

Please do not reply to the sender address of this email; due to spam and
Windows (TM) worms, everything not comming from the list is "stored" in
/dev/null. Put menorqui in the user part to send me anything. _Although_, I
prefer replies sent to the list so that others can benefit from the discussion.
Thanks.