Re: Kernel hangs during boot on PowerBook G4 17 1GHz

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:05:23PM -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> Through a series of tests, I was able to advance beyond the hangup just
> after the line "hub.c: new USB device 10:1a.0-1, assigned address 2" in
> the boot process.  However, I am not sure that it indicates progress.
> By removing OHCI for USB and leaving ADB (Macintosh device drivers)
> enabled along with UHCI (the default one for Intel, etc., not JE), I
> received the following:

[snip]

> I was surprised that disabling OHCI took me further.  I would have
> thought that a 17" PowerBook would use OHCI.  Is UHCI the correct
> driver for this laptop's USB?

No, OHCI should be the correct driver for the chip in your laptop.
I suspect that if you do a little more testing, you'll find out
that by disabling OHCI, you don't have any USB ports that work.
If you're wondering how your internal keyboard/trackpad still
work, that's because they aren't USB devices. Apple still uses
ADB for these on all their laptops as far as I can tell.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com