Re: Install panther after debian, no problem ?

El mié, 10-12-2003 a las 08:01, Joe Malik escribió:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:27:02PM -0300, mdwax wrote:
> > Sorry for my english.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have PBG4-12 with macosX10.2.8 and debian SID. All it's OK.
> >
> > But i have the Panther's CD.
> >
> > I would like install panther. Is these problem for my debian or
> > for boot my debian after install Panther ?
>
> Hi,
>
> it's a bit tricky but nevertheless doable; as a result of the panther
> install you can only boot into MacOS X. To correct this boot from the
> the debian install-cd, switch to the second console, mount your root
> filesystem, mount proc on the your root filesystem, chroot into into
> it and execute ybin (install yaboot beforehand).
> You should understand the procedure without me giving you the exact
> commands! If you don't chances are just too high I overlooked
> something, or you need to apply a small variation which would
> leave you with the undesirable situation of an unbootable debian.
> Please don't be offended by this, but I don't want to give you
> advice that might leave your debian unusable. That would be pretty
> bad advice actually ;-)

It's easier if you just use the OpenFirmware boot selector (push the Alt
key after the initial "bong" when booting and you will be able to choose
MacOSX or GNU/Linux) Then, it's just a matter of execute ybin from your
normal Linux session.

Cheers.

P.S.: You should not use the MacOSX partition tool because it will
remove all your partitions, use the linux's fdisk.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Debian GNU/Linux Sid (PowerPC)