Re: Yet another G4 iBook newbie

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Guido Guenther wrote:

> This is because you're using radenfb and not of anymore. The flickering
> goes away once X started up.

Well, yes, but perhaps only because I can't get to my VTs any more :-)
of==OpenFirmware or something else? -- because I don't think I was still
using OpenFirmware in booting!

> As a workaround I've put an Xserver that is known to work on the G4
> ibook at:
>   http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-ppc/xfree86/
> it's built against testing though, so you need at least libfreetype6 and
> libc6 from testing.  Copy it to /usr/local/bin and adjust the /etc/X11/X
> symlink. I have a patch for the debian X packages here but need a chance
> to test it on Matthias's machine...

Thanks, but my problem appears to have been a lack of modeline in my
XF86Config-4.  When I took Colin Leroy's it worked fine.  And without
having to go to testing or unstable either (just as well, given that
it appeared entirely willing to trash my system were I so to do!)

I think maybe I need to document very carefully exactly what I did :-)

Is it normal these days for xconfig-urating programs not to bother with
modelines?  I've got some vague responsibiity for a ghastly mess of an
i386 machine which is entirely unable to be xconfig-ured and half the
problem (at least) seems to be lack of modelines.

Diana.