Re: debianppc list and sven virus

On (26/11/03 13:15), Kiko Piris wrote:
> On 26/11/2003 at 12:10, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (26/11/03 13:39), Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>
> > > Nice, but this really ought to be implemented on the mailing list host, not by
> > > each and every mailing list subscriber.
>
> > Good idea.  A number of solutions were discussed on debian-user but
> > I can't recall anyone suggesting this.  Perhaps a note to the list
> > meister would be in order?
>
> It does not make sense, because the worms do not come from the list
> servers. The worm has it's own smtp engine and delivers the mail from
> the victim's computer to your mx exchanger directly.
Ah yes - that explains why it wasn't mentioned - other ideas concerned
munging addresses or restricting access, the former was regarded as
being probably easy to overcome and the latter, undesirable.

Although it took me a while to reorganise my mail system (switching from
getmail to fetchmail and setting up mailfilter), now its done, swen is a
trivial issue for me.  I am also using spamassassin for other crap but
not yet got it working properly.... need to spend more time on it ;)

Regards

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk