Re: debianppc list and sven virus

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Kiko Piris wrote:

> On 26/11/2003 at 12:10, Clive Menzies wrote:
>
> > On (26/11/03 13:39), Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>
> > > Nice, but this really ought to be implemented on the mailing list host, not by
> > > each and every mailing list subscriber.
>
> > Good idea.  A number of solutions were discussed on debian-user but
> > I can't recall anyone suggesting this.  Perhaps a note to the list
> > meister would be in order?
>
> It does not make sense, because the worms do not come from the list
> servers. The worm has it's own smtp engine and delivers the mail from
> the victim's computer to your mx exchanger directly.

That's correct, but the mailing list's posts are available publicly on Debian's
servers.  Same thing for the BTS bug reports.  If I go to bugs.debian.org, every
bug report I have ever sent to the Debian Project is available in raw form, with
the sender's address and return path, etc..  THAT is what must be fixed; no more
raw e-mail on the BTS; it's okay to be able to search the bugs, but not to get
the sender's whole, raw e-mail on a web site.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/