Re: How to get infrared and/or Nokia working

Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@ethlife.ethz.ch> wrote:

Hi,

> I'd like to connect to my new mobile, a nokia 6100.
>
> Running 2.4.22-ben1 (august 31), debian unstable (in a chroot so I can
> keep my woody installation), on a powerbook g3 lombard.

[...]

> a) anyone succeeded in using a mobile with a mac?

I've got my 8210 working with my PB G4 500. As it turns out, the 8210
couldn't keep up with an irda port at 115200 bauds, so after a _lot_
of googling I found that doing

echo "57600" > /proc/sys/net/irda/max_baud_rate

was enough to get everything working. After that the 8210 appeared in
the irdadump logs, which it didn't previously.

I've successfully established a PPP connection over the irda link,
with an average ping of about 6 seconds %-)

> b) anyone succeeded in using gnokii with a mac?

Yes, works fine. At least last I tried, which was some months ago with
a 2.4.20-benh kernel.

But you shouldn't use /dev/ttyS1. You should load the ircomm module
and use /dev/ircomm0.

> c) what to do against the kernel bug?

What kernel bug ?

> d) what are all those other infrared kernel modules for. Any use for
> my purpose?

The irda port on the mac can be used as a SIR device (what you're
currently doing), I think it could be used as a FIR device too but
there is currently no driver for that (assuming it's possible at all,
which I'm not sure).

I haven't used this irda setup for a while, but I have some time this
week to play with it if you need some more help. Google is your
friend, you can also find some help on mobilix.org^Wtuxmobil.org
(although the docs often cover FIR devices, there are some bits of
information on SIR devices).

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>