Re: How to get infrared and/or Nokia working

Hi

Thanks for you reply.

At 8:37 Uhr +0100 26.10.2003, Julien BLACHE wrote:
echo "57600" > /proc/sys/net/irda/max_baud_rate

was enough to get everything working. After that the 8210 appeared in
the irdadump logs, which it didn't previously.

(What do I need in order to make irdadump output anything? load which modules etc?. I haven't got any output so far.)

I've successfully established a PPP connection over the irda link,
with an average ping of about 6 seconds %-)

(Are non-GPRS connections (forgot the name, those connection oriented ones) better?)

But you shouldn't use /dev/ttyS1. You should load the ircomm module
and use /dev/ircomm0.

How to use ircomm? Can I use minicom on it?

 > c) what to do against the kernel bug?

What kernel bug ?

The one that crashes the machine. (fiddling with ttyS1 shouldn't do that, right?) Ok maybe if I do everything as I should and hold my breath, it won't happen anymore.

 > d) what are all those other infrared kernel modules for. Any use for
 my purpose?

The irda port on the mac can be used as a SIR device (what you're
currently doing), I think it could be used as a FIR device too but
there is currently no driver for that (assuming it's possible at all,
which I'm not sure).

I haven't used this irda setup for a while, but I have some time this
week to play with it if you need some more help. Google is your
friend, you can also find some help on mobilix.org^Wtuxmobil.org
(although the docs often cover FIR devices, there are some bits of
information on SIR devices).

I haven't really found much information. The best so far is:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/IrDA/IrDA.html

Is it correct that ircomm is a layer above one of SIR|FIR|..?

So should I first get SIR working? Using minicom for debugging?

cat /proc/net/irda/discovery never showed anything apart from these lines:
"IrLMP: Discovery log:

"

More questions:
- where does the infrared beam leave the mobile? From what I read in the nokia docs, it's a laser diode, not an led. So maybe it's not hidden behind a black (IR-permeable) plastic window, but instead, probably, in a slit on the right side, about where usually your thumb is when holding the mobile to the ear. - is there maybe any real lowlevel access to the infrared port, so I can see if light is physically entering the laptop ir port even if drivers are not working?

Thanks
Christian.