Re: kernel 2.6.0-test8 console

> > Straight kernel.org or -benh ??
>
> Straight kernel.org kernel :-)

Big mistake. Use Ben's tree.

> > compare the 2.4 and 2.6 versions of tdfxfb.c. Try to set fb_fillrect,
> > fb_copyarea and fb_imageblit (in tdfxfb_ops) to NULL to use generic,
> > unaccelerated screen writes. Does this improve console output?
>
> How would I do this?

Fire up a text editor. Load drivers/video/tdfxb.c. Locate first occurrence
of the string "tdfxfb_ops" (should be the struct declaration). Find the
lines below containing stuff like .fb_fillrect = something;, change to
read .fb_fillrect = NULL;, save, recompile.

> > You can try video=ofonly (you knew that, right?) to see if that 'fixes'
> > the console.
>
> Yes... lol...I knew that. I clicked on the BootX "no video driver" check
> box...and I saw the little penguin, but nothing else...the stripes went away,
> and I could tell that my monitor was getting video input (the little light on
> my monitor was green instead of amber). So, that's progress!

Indeed. Seems 2.6.0 crashes on your box after writing the penguin, but
before console (as in: write text to screen) initialization. You  might
try setting the console to the serial port, and watch for kernel messages
there.

I was under the impression that 2.6.0 would boot on your machine, just
leave text consoles messed up. Strange that offb would crash the box,
then.

Is there a way to boot Linux kernels from OS X on these G3 desktop
machines? That's what keeps me from testing Linux on that sort of box
myself...

	Michael