Re: kernel 2.6.0-test8 console

> Voodoo 3 and lower is fixed in the next kernel-image i will upload
> voodoo 4 & 5 seem to be still broken though. I have seen patches
> circulating on the fbdev mailing list though.
>
> This is 2.4 though, 2.6 has a totally redesigned fbdve layer and new
> drivers. I think radeonfb does not work yet with them, without patching
> at least. Have not tried though.

I heard radeonfb was working in 2.6.0(-benh) and someone was planning to
backport it to 2.4 - meaning it works better than the 2.4 drivers (on
newer hardware). This being said, I'd not recommend 2.6.0-test(7,8) for
anyone unfamiliar with some basic kernel hacking.

The fbdev code in 2.6 has been redesigned, but the major change is that
all this hardware-specific character drawing code is gone in favor of
generic character drawing code that uses hardware specific rectfill,
imageblit and copyarea functions. At least that's what I've seen from
comparing the rivafb drivers.

	 Michael