Re: share partition between macosx and debian

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:57:09 +1000
Stewart Smith <stewart@flamingspork.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 20:11, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > I have a friend who did it but he had to make a FAT partition to share a
> > partition because linux  does not write on usf.  Is this statement still
> > true? Can macosx r/o on ext2-3?
>
> There is a ext2 driver floating around for MacOS X, and apparently the
> newer releases don't hose your ext2 partition. I haven't used it, but a
> friend tells me it works fine now.

I found ext2 FileSystem 1.0b1 on http://www.versiontracker.com/ I'll try
it, thanks.

> One big note: DO NOT USE UFS ON MACOS X. It's slow, relatively
> unsupported and there are bugs with applications relating to it. Unless
> you have a *real* good reason to, don't touch it. Also remember that
> each implementation of UFS is different, so just because UFS appears in
> the linux kernel config, does not mean that it will read MacOSX's
> version of UFS.

Strange. I did install macosx on ufs. I'll see if I'll have problems ;)

> The HFS+ driver for linux (esp the newer one) does ro brilliantly,
> although I won't make any claims for rw as i haven't used it much.
> previously it worked okay for the limited rw i did.

this filesystem support differents mod?

> Besides, you can always boot up OSX in mol and scp stuff across.

a friend did this but you have to start the macosx :(

> I wouldn't bother with any FAT nonsense, it's unlikely to be very useful
> and it *definately* isn't very reliable - the FS was not designed for
> reliability in a multiprocessing environment. HFS+ support in linux is
> progressing well and has been included in linus 2.6 tree, so it'll be
> there in the future too.
>
> I like XFS for my linux partitions as it's well designed and fast.
> Otherwise, I'd use ext3 over ext2, although on a laptop i'd use the
> laptop_mode stuff so that you don't touch disk every 5secs.
>
> > Does the Debian partition still need to be first with swap?
>
> not that i'm aware of - i just made stuff. If it's any help, my
> partition map is below:
>
> /dev/hda
>         #                    type name                 length   base
> ( size )  system
> /dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
> ( 31.5k)  Partition map
> /dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 64
> ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 120
> ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                56 @ 176
> ( 28.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                56 @ 232
> ( 28.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda6          Apple_FWDriver Macintosh               512 @ 288
> (256.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda7      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh               512 @ 800
> (256.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda8           Apple_Patches Patch Partition         512 @ 1312
> (256.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda9         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 1824
> (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
> /dev/hda10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root               12582912 @ 3424
> (  6.0G)  Linux native
> /dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home               50331648 @ 12586336
> ( 24.0G)  Linux native
> /dev/hda12        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 614400 @ 62917984
> (300.0M)  Linux swap
> /dev/hda13              Apple_HFS WillsterOSX        14607776 @ 63532384
> (  7.0G)  HFS

I  did  remove  all these  driver  partitions,  I  don't have  any  HFS*
partition.

Thanks for  your advices  but I'd  like to have  some precisions  on the
'bad' ufs ;)

Best regards,

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.