Screen Blanking on FP iMac

Hey all!

I seem to remember this topic being visited in the past, so apologies if it's a rehash, but I couldn't dig up the consensus.

I'm having not difficulty per se, but irritation. The screen on my 1st gen Flat Panel iMac "blanks" by lighting ever pixel up like a wide blue sky. It's a little irritating when I'm trying to sleep. Any ideas how I could get it to really blank?

Linux apollo 2.4.22-ben1 #1 Wed Aug 27 12:52:10 CEST 2003 ppc GNU/Linux

:-)
Adam