Re: Guide for Oldworld Powermac d-i test using BootX and netinst CD

"Chris Tillman" <toff1@cox.net> writes:

> > Joeyhs loopback detection udeb _will_be_ helpfull there. Just dump the
> > image to harddisk and hope it finds it. :)
>
> I'll need to figure out how this works.

Afaik I just have to include the udeb name in the pkg-lists and thats it.

> > Can they be left on the cdrom?
> >
> > And this configured to use them from cdrom?
> >

> I tried browsing to the root.bin on the CD, and yes that did work. But
> BootX constructs a menu of kernels from files placed in the Linux
> Kernels folder, so the kernel has to be copied.

Maybe you could start writing some install docs covering this for powerpc.
Check the woody docs if they already have some info on this.

> > udpkg -i bla.udeb
>
> That's what I tried, but AFAICT it installed stuff into my ramdisk,
> not the target. And it wasn't successful doing modules debs at all. I
> wasn't sure if maybe I had to --configure after -i.

If you have /target/ installed you can "/target/sbin/chroot /target
/bin/sh" or not?

> > Yes. I loved that too.

> > Didn't I hear something about a reboot menu item being created now?
>
> Yes, it's coming.

> > Can the CDrom contain an icon that will start the installation when
> > clicked? Can BootX be on the CD or is that a system component allways
> > available?
>
> No, I don't think so. Well, maybe. The CD is an hfs/iso, so in theory
> one could put BootX on it (both resource fork and data fork). But in
> practice, it might not work well. The first issue that arises is: what
> kind of Linux script can build a CD with the proper MacOS resource
> fork for the app? There are some ancient apps around that can
> translate from macbinary, but when I've tried them they don't work
> well.
>
> Also, the BootX preferences are saved on the Mac partition, and the
> Linux Kernels folder should go in the System Folder ... it's probably
> best, especially considering the relatively small audience, to just
> continue to have BootX.sit on the CD and have people unpack it on
> their MacOS partition. Also keep in mind we should have a floppy-based
> 'plug-it-in-and-go' solution.

You tell me how to do them and I will try. :)

MfG
        Goswin