Shutdown/LVM: cannot create /var/log/ksymoops

Hi all,

When shutting down the system, shortly before the shutdown screen says
something like "Powerdown" I get an error, which says something like
this (I can see the relevant messages only a second or so, so it's
hard to write it down literally):

"shutting down LVM volume groups

cannot create /var/log/ksymoops
read-only filesystem "

and it says something about modprobe, IIRC ...

S40umountfs is run before S50lvm in rc0.d, so it seems to me being
logical that when everything's unmounted there's no possibility to
write to some filesystem. OTOH I can't shutdown lvm before unmountfs
is running, if I understand this tool correctly.

This is what I have:

 COLUMNS=72  dpkg -l lvm*

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
un  lvm            <none>         (no description available)
un  lvm-binaries   <none>         (no description available)
ii  lvm-common     1.5.9.3        The Logical Volume Manager  [ ... ]
ii  lvm10          1.0.7-7        The Logical Volume Manager for Linux
pn  lvm2           <none>         (no description available)
un  lvm5           <none>         (no description available)
un  lvm6           <none>         (no description available)

In my running kernel 2.4.22-ben2 I did not enable LVM, as I hope:

Excerpt from the .config file:
-----------------------------------
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
# CONFIG_MD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD is not set
# CONFIG_MD_LINEAR is not set
# CONFIG_MD_RAID0 is not set
# CONFIG_MD_RAID1 is not set
# CONFIG_MD_RAID5 is not set
# CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM is not set
____________________________________

Excerpt from /proc/cpuinfo:
machine         : PowerBook3,5
motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
board revision  : 00000000
detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)

lvm10 was probably installed to satisfy dependencies or for a
"suggests" wish of some other program, when I installed it. My
problem, too, is that it seems there's nothing in
/var/log/installer.log.1 and /var/log/installer.timings.1 on lvm.
Besides the fact these installer.* logs here seems at large parts
being unreadable for humans ... :)

Simply uninstalling lvm? I don't like this way: I'd like to first fix
the problems, then uninstall the stuff that caused them (provided I
know what I' doing ... :)

Thanks in anticipation,
Wolfgang

--