Re: Making d-i work on oldworlds (was: Re: share partition between macosx and debian)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 03:24:03AM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Oct 14 2003, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > The d-i team would appreciate your help. We seriously need testers on
> > oldworld, as none of us has access to such hardware. AFAIK d-i is
> > completly untested on oldworld. The first step would probably be to
> > build a kernel 2.4 (needed for devfs) which fits on a floppy, as we were
> > told that this is the only way to boot oldworlds without using
> > proprietary software.
>
> Yes, booting on oldworlds via a CD seems to be possible only with
> proprietary drivers. OTOH, I could (when I had Debian installed on that
> oldwordl) boot it with miboot on a floppy without problems.
>
> What I did was to compile my own kernel, gzip the vmlinux file in the

Could it be possible to have a copy of your .config file, so as to know
which options are needed to make the kernel fit on a floppy ?

If it is not possible to have the powerpc configuration made to fit, i
will probably be building an old-world kernel configuration too.

Friendly,

Sven Luther