Re: Ethernet problem -- Network completely dies

The 6500 has some quirks, I've got a couple of the 250 MHz model, and
have had plenty of annoyance dealing with these issues. Just to be sure,
if you do "ifdown eth0" then "ifup eth0", does it re-enable the
ethernet?

Thanks, in fact if the computer's network has hung, then the command "ifdown eth0" totally freezes the machine, and I have to do a hard reboot.

I did a little detective work, and the exact step in ifdown that triggers the freeze is "ifconfig eth0 down".

Also, what ethernet card are you using? the onboard one?

Yep, it's the onboard one.

-- Z